The path to citizenship can be long and arduous, yet this did not discourage the 600,000 people who become naturalized in 2020. Having a solid understanding of the pathway toward citizenship ensures you will be well equipped for the process and increases your chances of obtaining the highly sought-after U.S. Citizenship. Our Rockville immigration team discusses eligibility requirements to get citizenship in the U.S., the application process, and what you can do to make for a smoother process.
What Does It Take to Become a U.S Citizen?
Primarily, it takes patience to become a naturalized U.S. Citizen. Depending on what category you apply under, per the U.S. Immigration and Citizenship Services (USCIS), you must first be a lawful permanent resident for three to five years. During those three to five years, you must also have continuous residence and physical presence in the United States. Here are the other eligibility requirements one must fulfill to be able to apply for naturalization;
- Be at least 18 years of age when you apply;
- Ability to speak, read and write in English;
- Demonstrate good moral character;
- Know and understand U.S. history and government;
- Demonstrate loyalty to the principles of the U.S. Constitution; and
- Willingness to take the Oath of Allegiance
Once you fulfill these requirements, you can advance through the application process.
To provide you with a clear understanding of the steps necessary to reach citizenship, we will outline the process in 10 steps.
- Verify Eligibility for U.S. Citizenship (as mentioned above)
- Complete Form N-400
- Obtain two color photographs
- Photocopy of all needed documents
- Send your completed application package to the USCIS
- Get fingerprints taken
- Attend Naturalization Interview
- Take English and Civics Test
- Wait for a decision
- Once granted citizenship, take the Oath of Allegiance
Something to note: if you are guardians to underage children, they will be naturalized by default once you are granted citizenship. If even one of the above requirements is not fulfilled, you risk the chances of your application being denied.
How We Can Help
The process of naturalization can be long and complex. It is key to your success to have the counsel of an experienced legal team on your side to guide you through the process from start to finish. Here at Yacub Law Offices, we pride ourselves on providing our clients with the specialized legal guidance they need to reach their immigration goals.
Contact Yacub Law Offices at +1 703 533 2347! We are the leading experts in immigrant law in the United States.